M-Files is a document management and information governance platform that provides various security features to protect sensitive data and ensure compliance with regulatory requirements. Here are some key security features offered by M-Files:
1. Access Control: M-Files offers granular access control mechanisms to restrict user access to documents and other information. Access permissions can be defined at the individual, group, or role level, allowing administrators to manage who can view, edit, delete, or share specific documents or folders.
2. User Authentication: M-Files supports multiple authentication methods, including Windows Active Directory integration, Single Sign-On (SSO) with SAML 2.0, and integration with third-party identity providers. This ensures that only authorised users can access the system.
3. Encryption: M-Files uses robust encryption techniques to protect data both at rest and in transit. Data is encrypted using industry-standard algorithms, preventing unauthorized access to sensitive information. Additionally, M-Files supports secure communication protocols such as HTTPS and SSL/TLS.
4. Audit Trail: M-Files maintains a detailed audit trail that records all user activities within the system, including document access, modifications, and deletions. The audit trail helps organisations track and investigate any unauthorised or suspicious activities, ensuring accountability and compliance.
5. Version Control: M-Files provides version control functionality, allowing organisations to track changes made to documents over time. This feature enables users to revert to previous versions of a document and helps maintain data integrity.
6. Data Loss Prevention (DLP): M-Files includes features to prevent accidental or intentional data loss. Administrators can set up DLP policies to monitor and restrict the transfer, printing, or copying of sensitive information. This helps organisations maintain control over their data and prevent unauthorised data leakage.
7. Compliance and Records Management: M-Files supports compliance with various regulations, such as GDPR, HIPAA, and ISO standards. It provides features like records management, document retention policies, and automated workflows to ensure proper handling and retention of documents in accordance with regulatory requirements.
8. Secure Collaboration: M-Files facilitates secure collaboration by allowing users to share documents and folders with internal or external stakeholders. Administrators can define access rights and expiration dates for shared content, ensuring controlled and secure collaboration.
9. Secure Mobile Access: M-Files offers mobile applications for iOS and Android devices that provide secure access to documents and workflows. Mobile access is protected through user authentication, encryption, and other security measures, enabling users to access and work with documents on the go.
10. Integration with Security Systems: M-Files can integrate with existing security systems and technologies deployed within an organisation, such as Data Loss Prevention (DLP) solutions, antivirus software, and intrusion detection systems. This integration enhances overall security and helps prevent data breaches.
It’s important to note that while M-Files provides these security features, the implementation and configuration of these features are the responsibility of the organisation deploying the system. It’s crucial to follow security best practices, conduct regular security assessments, and ensure proper user training to maximise the effectiveness of M-Files’ security features.